The last time we have introduced a very crucial issue: the impact of nutrition on climbing performance!
Now it is time to leave out theory and go to practice. I will give you some practical advice about energy-boosting food, useful to make you feel ready before your climbing session.
First of all, if you want to feel satisfied and not depressed, it is important to focus your attention on your primary fuel source, simple carbohydrates, and fast digesting protein.
Here a list of some food able to deliver quick energy. So you can them combine to create healthy and simple pre-climbing snacks:
- Chia Seeds: easy to digest when prepared properly, they help to keep you hydrated. They are nutrient- dense and full of energy-boosting power. Aztec warriors ate chia seeds to obtain high energy and endurance!
- Fruits: mixed berries, oranges, bananas, grapes, mangos, pineapples (when consuming fruits, choose ones that are low in fiber since fiber slows down digestion and cannot produce energy directly)
- Honey: gives a good boost of energy while also delivering antioxidants and vitamins
- Rice Cake: it has carbohydrates, some protein, is low in fiber and is quickly to digest
- Cinnamon: sprinkling on some cinnamon can help to stabilize your blood glucose levels.
Let’s see some original recipes to convert this fine food in super-easy and yummy snacks:
Mixed berries with Cinnamon
You need less than a minute for combine these two ingredients! You can eat them when you are in a hurry and you need a quick and delicious snack.
Rice Cakes with Honey
Another quick and easy one. If you’re planning to consume it as your pre climbing snack then pack the rice cakes and honey separately and assemble it on site in order to avoid a sticky mess in your Tupperware, on your hands, and on everything you will touch!
Raspberry Chia Energy Gel
This one demands a little bit more of preparation but if you have approximately 15 minutes then you are good.
Mix 1/2 cup of water with 1+1/2 tablespoons of chia seeds and let it sit aside or in the fridge for about 15 minutes. In the meantime, rinse about 1/3 cup of organic raspberries and mash them up and get one tablespoon of honey and a pinch of salt.
After 15 minutes get your chia and water mixture. You will notice that it looks like a gel. Do not panic, it is both cool and yummy!
In the end mix your raspberries, honey and salt into your gel until it looks vivid red!
Enjoy your meal!